Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Ricotta gnocchi

Halloween is not very big in France. At least not in Paris. So no costumes or trick or treating for us. We did enjoy a three-day weekend and some nice weather, though. The Salon du Chocolat was tempting, but as much as I love chocolate I didn't feel like standing in queues to taste some this weekend. Instead, we took a long walk and ate lunch out on Saturday, wandered the stalls at the local market and ate dinner with friends on Sunday, and enjoyed a lazy, relaxed Monday at home.

I made ricotta gnocchi with browned butter for the first time for dinner on Monday night. It was a big hit - a lot easier than I expected, and very delicious! Before I forget, here's what I did -

Ricotta gnocchi

Ingredients

250 gms of whole milk ricotta
1 egg, beaten
1/2 clove of garlic, finely minced
1/3 cup grated Comte (I didn't have any Parmesan at hand)
minced parsley
salt
pepper
about 1/2 cup flour (and more for dusting)

  1. Combine all the ingredients except the flour.
  2. Slowly add as little flour as possible - enough to bind the mixture together but not too much, otherwise the gnocchi will become dense.
  3. Working on a well floured surface, mix together gently. Cut into four pieces.
  4. Using your palms, roll the mixture into a cylindrical tube about 1/2 inch thick.
  5. Using a knife dusted with flour, cut into 1 inch pieces. Shape pieces using a fork.
  6. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add salt. Put in 12-15 gnocchi at a time. Once they float to the top, they are cooked.
  7. For the browned butter sauce, I didn't have any sage, so I used basil instead.
  8. Toss gnocchi in sauce, sprinkle parmesan cheese, and enjoy.
I've made a lot of fresh pasta but I had never made gnocchi before. It was light and fluffy, and so much quicker than I had anticipated. I'll definitely be making some again soon.

Fall surprise

I found this tiny leaf by our shoes while cleaning the apartment. A little bit of fall love this Tuesday morning. Have a fantastic day!

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious. I'll definitely be trying this. What's the browned butter sauce .... never mind I found it! The leaf is heart shaped too, guess that's what you meant by fall "love". I'm not all there, but that's to be expected!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been enjoying the Paris posts... Glad to see you two settling in well.

    ReplyDelete