Monday, October 18, 2010

Mixing it up

It isn't very surprising that my carbohydrate intake has gone up significantly in the last two weeks. Good thing I'm not counting. We are in Paris after all, and as cliché as it might sound, I have been stopping by a boulangerie every single day since we got here.

My lack of a sizable French vocabulary, and the pressure of people queuing up behind me waiting to order, had me a little stuck. Stuck ordering baguette traditionnelle, pain au chocolat, and croissant. Not that I haven't been enjoying these; I just didn't know how to ask for anything else.

So last week when a friend suggested that I try a new bread each week, I set off to a new-to-me boulangerie with a definite goal. From my carfeul homework, I knew that Poilâne didn't sell baguettes, so it was a good place to start since I couldn't chicken out, and I had to order something new.

Poilane

I came away with a few slices of their famous levain, feeling rather pleased with my little victory, and for venturing out of my comfort zone and mixing it up.

Poilane

I might have picked up a familiar treat as well!

Poilane

The bread was delicious, smeared with butter and a sprinkle of sel de mer. I'm not sure what I'm going to try to order at the boulangerie this week, but I'm looking forward it.

1 comment:

  1. encore du blog posts s'il vous plait. keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete