Monday, December 14, 2009

Built by me

Built by me

I picked up this popular Built by Wendy (Simplicity 3964) pattern on my trip to the US couple of months ago. I used a light-weight cotton to make a wearable muslin. I wanted it to be long enough to wear with tights in India but I ran out of fabric for the sleeves. I don't care too much for the sleeves in the pattern anyway! I cut out the smallest size (size 4) but I should have made the armhole cuts a little deeper. I can't comfortably wear this top over a t-shirt on cooler days.

Built by me

The hardest part for me was sewing in the inset. I find it difficult to make gathers on this sewing machine. It's easy to change the stitch length but I can't adjust the tension, which makes it a little tricky to pull up the gathers without breaking the thread. So the gathers are not spread out evenly but I don't mind too much.

Built by me

The ties at the back are a fetching detail but you'll have to excuse the wrinkles - I had been wearing this top all day before the photographs. I used french seams and took in about an inch on either side to make it a little more form fitting. I'm very happy with how neat it is on the inside. All in all, it's a cute top with much potential. It's not quite cold enough here but it would make a great jumper in a heavier fabric.

Thanks to my husband for indulging me and taking the photographs!

3 comments:

  1. i fancy it more without the sleeves i think. i have this pattern in my stash somewhere. i should dig it out in a few months. it's too cold here for sleeveless tops now and will be for many more months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I don't like the sleeves the pattern comes with, either, and a few months ago I made mine sleeveless, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your version is great! I'll be making the same size, and will keep your armhole dilemma in mind when sewing mine. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete