Thursday, August 20, 2009

A-line skirt

A-line skirt
Photo taken by my husband.

You are probably getting bored of seeing this fabric. I know my husband is! My apologies. It was relatively inexpensive, and I might have bought more of it than I know what to do with. For my self-drafted skirt pattern, I wanted to make a wearable muslin, and this fabric fits the bill rather well.

A-line skirt

I lined the skirt and used an invisible zipper. I don't have changeable feet for this sewing machine, and I was a bit skeptical about using the regular foot to put the zipper in, so I started sewing it by hand. My husband had to only ask why I wasn't using the machine, and I promptly abandoned the hand sewing, and gave it a shot on the machine. I'm glad I did; it turned out very neat, and pretty nearly invisible.

A-line skirt

I also tried french seams for the first time, and I am a fan. I'm not sure why I haven't tried it before. I have been noticing that a lot clothes I have purchased in India have french seams. I don't own a serger (although, I do covet one), and my machine doesn't even have a zig zag stitch. I see a lot of french seams in my future :)

A-line skirt

The only thing I would do differently is get rid of the darts in front. The darts on the back look very nice, but the ones on the front look bunched up and frumpy. I don't think I really need them, and will leave them out next time.

On the whole, my first attempt at drafting was a success - the skirt is very wearable. What started out as an intimidating processes, ended up being a very satisfying experience. I am already working on a basic bodice block.

Unrelated - but we saw this little guy on our way back home. It might be the tiniest toad I have ever seen!

Tiniest toad

2 comments:

  1. Oh the skirt is just lovely! I love the fabric. The colors are so vibrant! I'm so impressed you drafted this yourself! So far I've only been able to tackle commercial patterns and Japanese patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi :)
    This is the first time i am visiting your blog and i just have to say i just love the stuff you have made.And the finish! Your clothes look really professional and well made.
    Thanks for the inspiration :)
    Have a great day !

    ReplyDelete